In the Books Section:
- Did you like the book? Why or why not? Based on this book, would you want to read more Neil Gaiman?
- What genre was this (urban fantasy, magical realism, "mainstream" fiction, etc.)?
- What was Gaiman trying to say about gods?
- What was the role of the God of the monotheistic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam), if any?
- Were the characters interesting and well-defined?
- Gaiman is a British writer writing a novel about rural America? How did his Britishness affect what he wrote? Could an American have written this novel?
- It wasn't a gay novel, but did the novel do well by gays?
- What is the significance of the names (Shadow, Wednesday, Mr. Nancy, Wood, Stone)? Why didn't the fat boy have a name?
- What did you think of the various roadside attractions that appeared during the book? Have you ever been to a place like these?
- What is the significance of the various "Coming to America" short stories? Do they make the novel better or worse?
- Did the ending work? Why or why not?