In the Books Section:
- Did you finish the book?
- Did you like the book? Why or why not?
- Would you categorize the book as romance or science fiction? Do you feel it succeeded in balancing the genres?
- Did you like the characters in Ascension? Which ones? Why or why not?
- The vast majority of Ascension’s characters—both major and minor—are female. Did you notice the gender imbalance? How did you feel about it?
- How did you feel about Ascension’s portrayal of LGBT characters? Did you find the romance believable? What about its portrayal of poly?
- Ascension’s cast is also diverse in terms of race and (dis)ability. Did you notice that none of the characters were white? Did you care? Did you feel Alana’s chronic illness was convincingly portrayed?
- In addition to romance, the book devotes a lot of attention to the sisterly relationship between Alana and Nova. Did you find their relationship interesting? Did you empathize more with one or the other?
- What did you think of the book’s worldbuilding? Did you find its use of alternate universes interesting? Did you feel the spirit guides integrated well with the science fiction setting?
- Did you find the plot compelling? Did you feel the protagonists earned their victory? Did you predict the plot’s main twist?
- Would you read the author’s next novel?