Daughter of Mystery
Discussed February 2017
By Heather Rose Jones
Buy Daughter of Mystery from Amazon.com
Abridged Dramatis Personae
Their relations and household:
Marziel Lumbeirt, Baron Saveze
Elisebet “Bezza” Fulpi (d.)
Elisebet “Lissa” Arpik (d.)
Efrans Arpik (d.)
Annek, Duchess of Maunberg
Conrad, Duke of Maunberg
Also at court:
Jeanne de Cherdillac
The Guild of Saint Atelpirt:
Other students of note:
At Saint Orisul’s:
The Mother Abbess
Sister Petrunel (formerly)
- Did you finish the book?
- Did you like the book?
- What genre would you assign to Daughter of Mystery? Is it a romance, a fantasy, or something else entirely? How does it conform to (or flummox) your genre expectations?
- What did you think of the religious-based magical system? Were you able to clearly understand how it worked? Did it remind you of magical systems in any other works, or did you find it unique?
- How convincing was Alpennia to you as a real society with its own distinct customs and mores? Did its vague geographical location bother you, or do you feel you have a clear picture of where it fits into Europe?
- How did you feel about the depiction of queer culture within Alpennia, particularly the circle surrounding Jeanne de Cherdillac?
- Did you find the chemistry between Margerit and Barbara convincing? Did the power imbalance between the leads affect your perception of their romance?
- Did you find the characters in general sympathetic? Were any of the secondary characters particularly compelling to you, or did you find them lacking in depth?
- What did you think of the pacing of the book? Were there parts you found more or less interesting, or aspects you wish the author had spent more or less time developing?
- Were you surprised by the twist at the end about Barbara’s identity? Did you find it satisfying?
- Are you interested in reading the sequels?