In the Books Section:
Discussed June 2018
By Ursula K. Le Guin
Buy The Dispossessed from Amazon.com
- Did you read the book? Did you like it?
- What do you think of the structure of the novel, alternating between 40- and 20-year-old Shevek?
- What did you think of the depiction of Anarres? One of the critiques of the book is that Le Guin shows a clear preference for Anarresti society. Do you agree?
- Is Anarres an anarchic utopia? Is its society politically sustainable?
- What kind of view of Urras are we getting from Shevek? How does it compare to the human ambassador’s view?
- Is Shevek naive?
- How much kinship is there actually between Anarres and/or Shevek and the revolutionaries on Urras?
- Could an Odonian society exist on Urras, or is it dependent on the scarcity of Anarres?
- What did you think of the depiction of family structures in Anarresti society?
- What did you think of the queer content in the novel, particularly the character of Bedap?
- What did Shevek get out of his trip to Urras?
- Could you see this as a Cold War allegory? Why or why not?
- Have you read other works by Le Guin? What do you think of this novel compared to those?