In the Books Section:
- Students of Frontera
- Anouk, Mary, Tom
- Yola, Kendall, Charlie, Rafael, Feliz, etc
- Staff of Frontera
- Dylan, Clare
- Hamilton, Abayanesh
- Soledad/George, Jordi
- Anna Carillo/Gar Guzman
- The Creep
- Aunts Meg/El
- Did you finish the book? Did you like it, why or why not?
- This book is considered by many to be a YA novel. Do you agree with that assessment? What makes you agree or disagree?
- How did this book compare to other works by Slonczewski that you’ve read (if any)?
- What did you think of Slonczewski’s handling of academia and the college experience?
- What did you think, overall, of her handling of science and scientific issues in the novel?
- What did you think, overall, of her handling of social topics/issues in the novel?
- There are a lot of scientific advancements and items in this novel – what aspects or items stand out? Did you find the level of advancement reasonable given the time frame?
- There are a lot of social commentary items in the book – what aspects or items stand out? Did you find the level of social change reasonable given the timeframe? Did the social and technological advancements seem to keep pace?
- What did you think of the Ultraphytes? How quickly did you, the reader, realize Mary’s nature?
- Given the recent election cycle and the Supreme Court cases this week – what are your thoughts on the discussions of government, elections, and the role of religion in society as presented in the book?
- This book was on the recommended short list for the Gaylactic Spectrum Award last year... do you agree with the judges’ choice to place it there? Why or why not?