In the Books Section:
Discussed November/December 2018
By James S.A. Corey
Buy Leviathan Wakes from Amazon.com
- Jim Holden: captain; former XO of the Canterbury (from Earth)
- Naomi Nagata: engineer and XO (Belter)
- Amos Burton: mechanic (from Earth)
- Alex Kamal: pilot (from Mars)
- Joe Miller: former detective on Ceres
- Fred Johnson: The Butcher of Anderson Station, formerly with the UN and now a leader with the OPA on Tycho Station
- Julie Mao: missing person who meets a particularly messy end
- Anthony Dresden: lead scientist for Protogen
- Chrisjen Avasarala: not in this book, which is why you need to keep reading the series
- Did you finish the book? Did you like it?
- What do you think about the world building in the novel, especially the relationship between Earth, Mars, and the Belters? Did you find it plausible?
- Did the back-and-forth between Miller’s and Holden’s viewpoints work for you as a reader?
- Did you like the blending of detective fiction and science fiction, especially in scenes told from Miller’s viewpoint?
- What did you think about Miller and his motivations, especially his motivations for continuing the investigation into Julie Mao?
- What do you think about Holden and his beliefs about the freedom of information? Is he too naive? What are his motives? Does he help or hurt?
- What was your impression of the other main characters--Naomi, Alex, and Amos?
- Talk about the protomolecule and Protogen. Do you think we have the whole truth about the nature of the protomolecule, or that we or the characters ever will?
- One commenter (Aidan Moher at Tor.com) remarked that he could tell the book was written by a man: “At times it feels very much like a novel written by dudes for dudes.” Do you agree? Does it matter?
- Have you seen the TV series? What do you think about it in comparison to the book?
- Are you familiar with the two authors behind James S.A. Corey (Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck)? How does their work compare with this novel?
- Have you read the rest of the series? Would you?