In the Books Section:
- Did you finish the book/comics?
- Did you like the work? Why or why not?
- Favorite moment? Least favorite moment in what you read?
- Were you familiar with the Ms. Marvel character from previous stories (for example, the oft mentioned Carol Danvers)? Were you familiar with the “universe” in which the story is set? Did you feel that understanding the Marvel Universe was necessary for understanding the story?
- The launch of the new Ms. Marvel series with Kamala Khan, a Muslim, Pakistani-American teenager as the hero, generated significant advance press particularly focused on cultural diversity. Do you think that diversity was/is an issue in comics? Do you think Ms. Marvel successfully presented alternative perspectives?
- Can you name any other Muslim superheroes in mainstream comics? How many female-hero specific titles can you name in mainstream comics? Are comics changing?
- When Kamala first starts exhibiting powers, she alters her appearance in specific ways? Why does she choose the appearance she does?
- Kamala has no grand tragedies in her life, no awful home life, no murdered parents, no horrible accidents... how does her origin serve the story of who Kamala is? How does her family life fit into her identity?
- The story takes place in Jersey City... not New York, not a big city. How does that impact the story of Kamal Khan?
- What did you think of the art in the story? Did it add or detract from the story itself? What role did it play in your experience of Ms. Marvel?
- Do you plan to read more Ms. Marvel?