In the Books Section:
An Unkindness of Ghosts
Discussed June 2019
By Rivers Solomon
Buy An Unkindness of Ghosts from Amazon.com
- Aster Grey
- Flick (Flor ‘Flicker’ Samuels)
- Matilda (the spaceship)
- Surgeon General Theophilus ‘Sedvar’ Smith
- Sovereign Nicolaeus (heaven’s chosen ruler)
- Guards (soldiers of heaven)
- Lune Grey
- Aint Melusine
- Giselle (Devil)
- Ms Beeker
- Captain Lieutenant Smith
- Vivian, Mabel, and Pippi
- Jo and Maud
- Did you finish the book? Did you like it?
- Would you categorize this book as speculative fiction, fantasy, science fiction, or something else?
- How did the use of pronouns impact different groups within this society?
- How did the Tarlanders lack of gender impact the way others view them and how they viewed themselves?
- How did the use of religion impact the peoples of this spaceship?
- How does language and class system impact this world? Did you enjoy the world building in this book?
- What does this tale speak to community, friendship, the ability of a group of people’s ability to overthrow unjust governments?
- Did the stories and folktales (Raven, Little Silver, etc.) add to the overall message of the book?
- What are the “ghosts” in this story? Are they the past refusing to be forgot?
- Are the “ghosts” at peace in the end? How does Aster deal with the remains of her mother and Giselle?