In the Books Section:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Discussed September 2011
By Stephen Chbosky
Buy from Amazon.com
- Patrick (Nothing)
- Mary Elisabeth/Craig/Brad/Bob (and other assorted friends)
- Various Family (Mother, Father, Brother, Sister, Aunt Helen)
- Did you like the book?
- Did you like the main character?
- Did this feel like a book that was written by a teenager in high school?
- Were there too many issues (drugs, friendship issues, family issues, abortion….)?
- What did you think of the “twist” at the end? Did it feel realistic, forced?
- Who do you think Charlie was writing to? (himself, aliens, no one, everyone…)
- Would you give this book to individuals in high school?
- Would you consider this book queer literature?
- Charlie’s relationship with Patrick and Sam. Discuss.
- This book was was suggested to be banned/challenged in 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, and 2004 for the following: anti family, drugs, homosexuality, offensive language, religious viewpoint, sexually explicit, suicide, unsuited to age group, nudity, suicide. What do you think about this?